Topic outline

  • Routes to Teaching for Support Staff

  • Eligibility

    For the latest information and to get personalised advice please go to the Get into Teaching website

    Before you apply for teacher training you'll need to make sure you’re eligible. Although different training providers may have specific recruitment criteria, there are some basic eligibility requirements you’ll need to meet to become a teacher in England.

    GCSEs or their standard equivalent. You’ll need to demonstrate GCSE grade C / 4 (or standard equivalent) in mathematics and English - and a science subject for primary trainees. Your training provider will make the final decision on whether you meet this entry criteria – if you don’t, they may ask you to sit a GCSE equivalency test, or offer other evidence to demonstrate your ability.

    Degree requirement You need to have a degree (or equivalent qualification) to train on a postgraduate initial teacher training course. For equivalent qualifications, you’ll need to confirm your qualification is equivalent to a degree. Your chosen training provider may able to help you with this. 

    If you don’t have a degree you can train full time on a university led undergraduate course or see our tile  “How to study for a degree while working  as a TA tile” for information about your options for part time study

    Overseas qualifications If all or part of your qualifications are from outside the UK, you should contact the schools or universities you would like to train with, as they make the final decision if your qualifications meet the minimum requirements -  you may be asked to formally recognise any overseas qualifications.
    • School Led Routes

      There are school-led training options for graduates who want hands-on training in a school. On a school-led training course, you’ll get the chance to learn on the job in at least two schools, learning from experienced colleagues and putting your new skills into practice from day one. School-led courses, such as SCITT or Schools Direct, generally last a year and result in the award of Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Most courses include a postgraduate qualification, which is likely to carry with it Master’s-level credits.

      • University Led Routes

        University led programmes are at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. 

        Undergraduate training:

        There are two types of degree that lead to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), a Bachelor of Education (BEd) degree and Bachelor of Arts (BA) and Bachelor of Science (BSc) degrees with QTS.

        Postgraduate training:

        University led courses run full-time over one year or part-time over two years. Training includes spending time at university or college and a minimum of 24 weeks in placement schools.

        • Apprenticeship

          Employment based route for graduates which takes four terms.  Apprentice teachers are initially employed as unqualified teachers, moving to NQT contract once they have gained QTS. They can be employed in a variety of settings (for example academy schools, maintained schools) and across England.

          Please click here for details of the latest Apprenticeship offers in Hampshire.

          • Overseas Trained Teachers

            To be a qualified teacher in England, you will need to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). You may be able to gain QTS in England without any further training or assessment. If you are qualified to teach in the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, visit GOV.UK to find out more. Although not mandatory for all schools, evidence shows that most schools hire teachers who hold QTS, or are working towards QTS. Get into Teaching - Overseas Applicants.

            • Assessment Only

              If you’re an experienced teacher with a degree, you can achieve Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) by the Assessment Only route which allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS. Criteria apply.

              • Troops to Teachers

                Two-year Troops to Teachers courses are for non-graduates and lead to QTS and a degree qualification. This involves earning a salary as an unqualified teacher while you train. Training to teach in a school for four days a week, with university training one a day a week to further your academic qualifications to degree level. For further information please contact or call 01273 643 598.

                • Teach First

                  Teach First is a charity offering a two year programme which  trains its participants to be in schools in low-income areas, specifically to address the needs of secondary-level pupils. Eligibility criteria apply, see Teach First.